If you are a fan of my early work and want to know the secrets of how I made it, then this is the workshop for you!
ENCAUSTIC MIXED MEDIA: SURFACE DESIGN & LAYERS
Madeline Island School of the Arts, LaPointe, WI
WORKSHOP DETAILS & REGISTRATION
Nestle in to the secluded Madeline Island in an absolutely gorgeous part of the world on Lake Superior. Madeline Island School is ranked among the top five art and craft schools in the country because of the quality of instruction and loveliness of the surrounding area which inspires creativity. If you’ve heard anything negative about the weather there, it’s a fib the locals spread so that they can keep the awesomeness to themselves!! I’m absolutely thrilled to be teaching at MISA this year and hope you will join me. See some lovely images of the school and read more about MISA and their location on their web site here .
Some of the materials, techniques and process we will cover include:
- Creating patterns with shibori on fabric or paper using indigo, rust printing and bleach discharge.
- Creating marks with heated metal and wood burning tools (pyrography)
- Creating ornamental and repetitive patterns using encaustic with collage, stencils, tjaps and candy molds.
- The application of thin layers of encaustic for collage-learn how to get rid of those blurry/bumpy areas when collaging into encaustic.
- How to effectively mix, apply and fuse encaustic layers to best utilize it’s translucency and depth.
- How to cover a panel with any fabric or paper and work back into it with encaustic.
- How to incorporate line and drawing into your encaustic paintings using horsehair and other mixed media techniques.
- How to incorporate stitch into your encaustic paintings for exciting textural surfaces.
- How to make a perfect encaustic photo transfer.
- How to create a flawlessly smooth encaustic surface.
- The magic of the grid and how you can use it to create exciting compositions.
- We will also discuss the conceptual use of layers, pattern and repetition with images, books and actual paintings for inspiration.
- And so much more…just like all of my workshops, this one is taught from an experimental, alternative, hands-on approach…one never knows what other techniques and possibilities might pop up during the workshop.
- Also in the spirit of all of my workshops, we will spend a lot of time exploring the surrounding landscape for found objects, photographs and inspiration.
See the gallery below for some workshop highlights and workshop work from a similar workshop I recently taught at RF Paints. For more information and highlights from workshops similar to this one, see this post, this post, this post and this post.