it’s june, the month of weddings and what better time to talk about cakes. the first show i watched on the food channel was ace of cakes. i was totally hooked on this show like one gets hooked on a soap opera, i couldn’t wait for the next episode. what hooked me was the concept of making a cake-an edible object-a work of art and watching the cake go from concept to finished piece to it’s ultimate destruction in the end. the design, engineering and construction of it was amazing to watch as each week the cakes seemed to get more and more complex. unusual forms, painting, sculptural embellishments, color…lots of stuff, the more, the better, in my opinion. since then, i’ve noticed many visual artists exploring the cake form on a conceptual level, so i’ve compiled a little ‘taste’ or ‘bite’, if you will.
1. not just another pretty cake by rosebud cakes…here.
2. i know it’s not cake, but i couldn’t pass up including an edible cotton candy installation by Erno-Erik Raitanen…here.
3. amazing cut paper cake by Tahiti Pehrson…here.
4. fantastical over the top cake by renowned wedding cake artist Cile Bellefleur Burbidge…here.
5. a room-sized cake by scott hove…here.
6. one of my favorite cake makers, artist amy stevens….here.
7. totally decadent work by will cotton…here.